The performance, attended by over 300 people, took place on Thursday 4 June 2015. This film includes the full work and accompanying sequences showing the details of the sculptures and frieze.
‘Panathenaia’ was composed by Thomas Hewitt Jones with words by Paul Williamson.
You can see the full event programme and libretto here.
The work is in eight movements:
1. Prelude – instrumental 00'30
2. The Temple – choir 03'30
3. The Weaver’s Song – soprano 11'25
4. Lyric Suite – instrumental 19'05
5. Prometheus –soprano, mezzo-soprano 22'20
6. Shadows in a Dream – choir 29'00
7. The Birth of Pandora – mezzo-soprano, soprano, choir 34'50
8. Coda – instrumental 40'30
This event and recording was generously supported by Molly Lowell and David Borthwick.
William Kunhardt – conductor
Paulina Pfeiffer – soprano
Karolina Blixt – mezzo-soprano
Hugo Ticciati – violin
Joanna Stark – bassoon
Christine Stevenson – continuo (electric harpsichord)
Andrea Haines – soprano
Emily Dickens – soprano
Chris Wardle – countertenor
Barnaby Smith – countertenor
Oliver Vincent– tenor
Sam Dressel – tenor
Paul Smith – baritone
Dingle Yandell – bass
Arensky Chamber Orchestra in collaboration with O/Modernt Kammerorkester
To find out more about the performers go here.
Take a virtual tour of the Parthenon Gallery on Google Street View here.